As an active trial lawyer for over four decades, Michael Connelly has litigated scores of cases to juries and judges in various courts in Texas and other states. Mr. Connelly has extensive trial experience in a wide variety of areas and is well known for his work in commercial and environmental cases. The commercial cases include professional liability, tax shelters, breach of contract, tortious interference with contracts, international sales of goods, oil and gas disputes, and claims arising out of divestiture of corporate assets. The environmental cases include mass community suits, government cost recovery actions, contaminated property and sediments claims, and contribution suits. He has handled mass toxic tort cases which include workplace chemical exposure, asbestos, silicosis, and he has handled a number of catastrophic accident cases, including multiple fatalities, plant explosions and OSHA workplace investigations. Mr. Connelly has also had many years of experience in handling medical liability cases that include hospital, nursing and physical liability, medical staff issues, medical device and pharmaceutical claims.
Mr. Connelly currently focuses his practice on commercial litigation, environmental litigation, mediation and arbitration. He has received certificates in mediation training and commercial arbitration (domestic and international) from the University of Houston Law Center and A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center. He is listed on the American Arbitration Association Commercial Litigation Panel.
Mr. Connelly has been extremely active in legal and charitable community activities as well, having been elected President of the Houston Bar Association for 2003–2004, following and extensive service commitment and long history of leadership positions in the Bar. He has also served as President and Chairman of the Houston Lawyer Referral Service, the Houston Volunteer Lawyer’s Program, and the Dispute Resolution Center. Mr. Connelly was elected to the State Bar of Texas Board of Directors and served from 2004 – 2007. While on the State Board, he served as Chair of the Finance Committee for two years. Michael Connelly currently serves as Chairman of Insuralex, a global network of over 43 law firms with a special emphasis on insurance/reinsurance, insurance coverage, insurance defense, and litigation.
Articles – Good topics for articles include anything related to your company – recent changes to operations, the latest company softball game – or the industry you’re in. General business trends (think national and even international) are great article fodder, too.
Mission statements – You can tell a lot about a company by its mission statement. Don’t have one? Now might be a good time to create one and post it here. A good mission statement tells you what drives a company to do what it does.
Company policies – Are there company policies that are particularly important to your business? Perhaps your unlimited paternity/maternity leave policy has endeared you to employees across the company. This is a good place to talk about that.
Executive profiles – A company is only as strong as its executive leadership. This is a good place to show off who’s occupying the corner offices. Write a nice bio about each executive that includes what they do, how long they’ve been at it, and what got them to where they are.
State Bar of Texas, 1969–Present:
Director, State Bar of Texas Board of Directors, 2004–2007 * Chairman, State Bar of Texas Finance Committee, 2006–2007 * Co-Chairman, State Bar of Texas Finance Committee, 2005–2006 * Co-Chairman, State Bar of Texas Disaster Response Committee, 1992–1993 * State Bar of Texas Administration Justice Committee, 1990–1991 * Member, State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section * Member, State Bar of Texas, ADR Section * Speaker, State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Trial Institute * Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
* Immediate Past President, Houston Bar Association, 2004–2005
* President, Houston Bar Association, 2003–2004
* President-Elect, Houston Bar Association 2002–2003
* Second Vice-President, Houston Bar Association 2001–2002
* Treasurer, Houston Bar Association, 1999–2000
* Director, Houston Bar Association Board of Directors, 1995–1999
* Houston Bar Foundation,Sustaining Life Fellow
* American Bar Association of Tort and Insurance Practice Section, 1969–1992, 1995–2009
* Chairman, American Bar Association Medicine and Law Committee, 1981–1983
* American Bar Association Litigation Section, 1975–1992, 1995–2009
* Secretary/Treasurer, 2008–2011
* Secretary/Treasurer Elect, 2007–2008
* Chairman, National Membership Committee, 2005–2007
* Chairman, Texas State Membership Committee
* Toxic and Hazardous Waste Substances Committee
* Drugs and Medical Device Committee
* Business Litigation Committee
* Faculty, Trial Academy, 1987
* Foundation of the International Association of Defense Counsel Board of Directors, 1993–2006
* Secretary/Treasurer, Foundation of the International Association of Defense Counsel, 1999– 2003, 2005–2006
* Chairman, Insuralex, 2014–2016
* Vice-Chairman, Insuralex, 2012–2014
* Secretary, Insuralex, 2011–2012
Courts in the State of Texas
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
United States court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
The Supreme Court of the United States